I have a tiny site, sign-in-sheet.com, that was an experiment to see if ads can pay; they can, but it’s a tiny site, with tiny revenues.
I ported it over to WordPress, and it took several hours. It took 9 and 1/3 hours, more or less.
The trade off is that it’s now easier to update. I have a bunch of modified files that should be uploaded.
The site gets little traffic, but I basically spent less than a day making the initial site. It drives ad clicks, because you don’t have these dense, endless lists of options. You search, land on a page, and see, along with the content, a big ad. Odds are, a vendor is remarketing something to you, so you are more likely to click.
Webmaster Tools Dinged Me
I found some unpublished printable forms, so added them to the site, growing the footprint. Since this site can now grow, with some effort, I decided to install the Yoast plugin to coach my writing.
Yoast produces an XML Sitemap, so I went over to Google Search Console, aka Webmaster Tools to see if the site was being indexed. As expected, it was out of date… but there were some improvements to the tools, one of them being some tools to analyze how the site will perform in a mobile phone.
There, I had some bad news. Google wants sites to be mobile-friendly. My theme was not.
At least not Google’s version. My CSS and HTML were responsive, and acceptable to my eyes… but Google couldn’t tell.
The lesson here is that you need to get into the search tools asap – meaning as you release the theme. It’ll add a few hours of work to the theme, though.